The SLIMPORT “Industria 2015” Program implements an innovative port project that integrates modular solutions aimed at efficient operations in the last mile/first mile context.
The port is the main interface between the maritime transport (last sea mile) and truck transport (first ground mile). For this reason, the port is logically connected to all the other non-marine nodes such as interports, logistic platforms, etc.
In this perspective, the SLIMPORT Program pursues efficient solutions that have a positive impact on the economic transport system and its infrastructures as a whole. To this purpose, entities such as Port Authorities and managers of other transport nodes of national relevance are involved in the project as end users.
TYPE AND DATE
STARTING DATE – May 1, 2009
ENDING DATE – Apr 30, 2012
COST € 150.000,00
FUNDING € 75.000,00
The main objectives of the SLIMPORT Program are:
- Reduction of the lay and transit times of goods and passengers in the transport nodes.
- Increase of efficiency of the loading and unloading operations.
- Cooperation with information systems for the management of operations existing in the area.
- Increase of safety of port operations wihout affecting business logics.
- Exploit intermodality of the logistic chain.
- Attain sustainable mobility through transport decongestion.
All these aims are attained through a modular structure of sub-projects that focus on specific issues of the scenario, offering a comprehensive range of ICT solutions that combine communication technologies, plants, sensors, etc., specifically aimed at integration with technologies, networks and systems already deployed on the logistics chain (e.g., those already employed by port operators, carriers, Police, etc.)
ISSIA MAIN ACTIVITIES
The activities of CNR-ISSIA have been carried out mainly within the SLIMCOMMS Module. Such Module of the SLIMPORT Program is devoted to the development of an efficient telecommunication network for the last mile/first mile context integrating in a smart way existing and new technologies.
The specific activities of the ISSIA-CNR Unit have been focused on the development of a “Network Agent” and a “Safety Agent” for the SLIMCOMMS network system.
Role of the Network Agent:
- acquisition and presentation of data related to the operation of the network infrastructure;
- manipulation of data to make them consistent with the application that needs them;
- management of the signaling fluxes towards the network devices;
- abstraction from the physical network space to the logical one for the purposes of the Safety Agent and other applications (for instance, through overlay networks).
Role of the Safety Agent:
- observation of the stimuli coming from the network, suitably abstracted by the Network Agent (like: number of users, traffic divided by typology, etc.);
- automatic detection of anomalies and possible safety issues;
- automatic setting of configuration parameters of the network, for the purpose of optimizing resources and/or implementing safety policies.
The development of the two above-mentioned agents has led to the following activities:
- definition of the protocol architecture of the Network and Safety Agents;
- definition of the functionalities of the Network and Safety Agents;
- study of the integration of the Network and Safety Agents for safety issues;
- development of predictive algorithms for automatic detection of anomalies, based on nonlinear models of statistical learning;
- development of strategies for the automatic allocation of resources based on the above-mentioned predictive algorithms, aimed at efficient use of the network and safety-oriented policies;
- test of the functionalities of the algorithms by simulation, in an operative scenario typical of the use of the SLIMCOMMS network in a port context, characterized by voice and data services.
37 partners involving: 13 Large Enterprises, 18 SMEs, 6 Research Organizations, 9 End-Users (Port Authorities and Interports)